Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Evils of Consumerism?

It can probably be inferred from my last posting that I am interested in doing my part to help save the planet. The fact that these measures happen to reasonably coincide with my health, wealth, and general happiness is a large motivating factor, but I do believe that if something takes a little more effort to make it environmentally friendly, it’s probably worth doing. That being said, I am assuredly not going completely over to the green side. I am totally not willing to give up my hot showers and electricity to reduce my carbon footprint.
I must say, the green freaks are good for a little entertainment, though. Today I was perusing a “green” online store. There was a section labeled “Resist Consumerism.” There were at least fifty items in this category, including: t-shirts, baby bibs, coffee mugs, messenger bags, and, my personal favorite, underwear. Yes, you can buy a thong with the words “resist consumerism” printed on them. Seriously, you can’t make this shit up. I’ve included the link for your ironic enjoyment. However, if I get any of these for a birthday present…well, I’ll just leave that open to your capable imaginations.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious.

    I haven't been to the site yet, but I hope that's someone's idea of a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I think they mean it. And those prices are a bit outrageous. Even funnier.

    ReplyDelete