Monday, July 28, 2008

Impressionable

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." – Bertrand Russell

The boytoy’s mother flies all around the country to run in marathons. She’s trying to get one in all fifty states. Everyone needs a hobby.

Yesterday, she left the boytoy an excited voice mail saying she had met a woman in an airport who claimed to be his guardian angel. I don’t know about you, but that was enough to set off my fraud alert sensors. Knowing his mother’s feelings towards me, I remarked to the boytoy that this woman had probably said I was ruining his life.

Actually, the phrase she used was “hammering.”

In actuality, the woman didn’t just walk up and spout specifics. The woman first proposed to heal her legs with Reiki. She asked about her children, and called the boytoy a “celestial child” (which, based on a google search, has no real meaning) and said he was always trying to create harmony, and the universe is hammering him for trying to harmonize it. Isn’t everyone? Alright, almost everyone.

The woman asked about his girlfriends, and if he was living with someone special. Obviously any mother’s reaction to this subject would give a good indication of the girlfriend’s approval rating (mine probably rivals congressional levels in that household). The woman proceeded to go off on how I was “hammering” the boytoy.

I guess that could be construed as true, but I’m pretty sure it’s a lot better “hammering” than he’s getting from the rest of the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment