Monday, January 19, 2009

Communication Outage

On Sunday, I didn’t touch my computer for the entire day. I also turned off the cell phone for a majority of the day. It felt fantastic.

It’s strange to crave alone time when that’s how the majority of my time is spent these days. Most of my friends from previous years have either graduated or disappeared into the nightmare of senior design. The boyfriend is, quite literally, a thousand miles away. Despite that, I’m still only a phone call, email, instant message, or text message away. It can be a little overwhelming.

I wasn’t able to manage an entire blackout. I had to check and reply to some messages. The boyfriend and I had a bit of a rough patch last week, and he would have been concerned, otherwise. Nice to know I’m not the neurotic one in the relationship these days; at least, not the only one. I haven’t really gotten a good perspective on my personality in this context, yet. I know it’s different. I know it’s better. Beyond that, I’m not sure.

My weekend wasn’t completely solitary. Friday night was spent hanging in a local bar. The sad part was that I recognized more people in the bar that night than on campus all week. Mind, I said sad, not surprising. I really enjoyed being back on my home turf. I didn’t have to behave myself, and everyone knows well enough not to take me seriously. Guess I’d better not get too used to it, though...

Saturday night, I played soccer for the first time since last spring. I forgot how much I missed it! I am rusty! It was a blast, though. I even had a few battle scars (bruises) the next morning to show for it.

1 comment:

  1. I understand the need to "log off" from time to time ... but that's not why I'm commenting. I want to know how you got a background picture into your blog. I've been trying to figure it out for awhile and getting absolutely nowhere.

    :)

    ReplyDelete