![]() |
| Izzy's New Tramp Stamp |
I never would have thought of tailgating a road race...but apparently someone did. I may have to try it sometime, since I found it quite entertaining as a runner. The cheering, high-fives, music, noisemakers, funny signs, pets and beer handouts (although I didn't partake) made an already fun race even more enjoyable.
Although our goal is to run a race in every state, I'd definitely make a return trip to the Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach. It was just a great time! Lots of runners were all dressed up. I was particularly jealous of the ones with the green tutus. The husband and I have decided that when we run this race again, both of us will have green tutus. In the words of one man so attired, "if you can't have fun in a race like this, why are you even doing it?" Besides, you're a badass if you can race in a tutu.
The elevation map of the course was a flat line and we both did very well. I happened to pick up a stray in the start corrals and ran the entire race with her, including introducing her to my perplexed husband at the finish line. It made the race go by very quickly, both figuratively and literally. I finished the race in 2:13:00. That's a 10:09 split time and twenty minutes less than my half marathon last year. Not bad.
Cody shaved nine minutes off his time and finished in 2:04:12. It was quite the two hours or less he was looking for...but that just means he'll have to do a couple more races (our next one is up a mountain...probably a good bet it won't be that one).
![]() |
| PR - Personal Record |
The finish line and after party were right on the beach. There was Irish stew, beer, a live band and some sweet finishers' medals waiting on us. They had a little removable shamrock charm and a bottle opener...can you tell the race was sponsored by a beer company? We actually felt pretty good after the race and even danced a line dance (I managed to spill half my drink in the process). The mile walk back to the hotel wasn't even too bad. It was moving the next day that was so difficult...
![]() |
| Sweet Sand Sculpture at the Finish! |
Other than that, it seems like the main thing we did was eat. I expected to return with an extra five pounds. We met up with my cousin and her normal seeming boyfriend for dinner, of course. It was the first time I'd seen here in almost ten years. Apparently the affinity for crazy animals runs in my mother's family, as she seems to have her share of them.
![]() | |
| Neptune at Virginia Beach |
![]() |
| Destroyer "Wisky" Permanently Docked in Newport |





No comments:
Post a Comment