The wedding months are supposed to be April, May & June...but for three of the four weddings we were invited to this year, the month of choice was September...on three consecutive weekends...all in South Dakota. I'm actually flat amazed none of these weekends were double-booked.
The first wedding was Mark & Cigi's on September 1st. They were both on the baja team in college with Cody. I was scheduled to be on-call and, incredibly, no one wanted to switch with me during a three-day weekend...including the coworker that gave me flack for sending my husband to the wedding alone. I don't think my absence hampered the celebration in any way. The baja team's wild antics may have scandalized the bride's family, however.
You'd think that him being out of town for the weekend would make it easier to get my long run in...but I had other things to do while the husband was away. I actually went into work on Sunday (which pretty much used up all of my willpower for that day). On Saturday, I took myself out on a "date" to a painting class. Even when the husband isn't out of town, I think occasionally going out solo is a healthy thing. My focus on the activity/show/food is greater. I'm more likely to start a conversation with a stranger. And, although it might sound strange, I'm a different person alone than I am with my partner. It's good to get away sometimes and remind myself of the differences.
Monday morning, I attempted the run...but it wasn't meant to be. I really need to learn that long runs require simple routes. Besides, I'd decided at the beginning of my training plan that my drop dead day for make-up runs was Monday. If I hadn't completed all of my training runs by Sunday, trying to make them up in the following week would only cause more problems. I've only totally dropped two runs in the ten weeks.
My earlier runs that week were not much more successful. My 8 x 800 m speed workout became a 1 mile easy pre-yoga warmup within 100 feet of starting. My five mile tempo run experienced a technological failure. Either the supposedly five mile route I'd run with a running group several times was a half mile short or my GPS was a half mile off. Whatever the reason, I decided four and a half mile run was close enough.

No comments:
Post a Comment