Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Warm" Winter Vacation

We succeeded...sort of.

The family finally reached a destination beyond the snow and ice during the last one-hundred miles of the eight-hundred and fifty from Soda Springs, ID to Phoenix, AZ (directly, which does not in any way reflect the actual path of this vacation).

We departed in the day after Christmas and began heading south with the truck and camper. My father, mother, sister, the favorite daughter (the family dog), and I were all crammed into the cab of the extended cab pick-up. That was cozy.

We camped the first night in style: the Cabela’s parking lot. The next day we drove down to Zion National Park. Camped in a real campsite, and explored the beautiful park in the morning before continuing onward to Arizona.

The following day we visited Grand Canyon National Park. If you’re envisioning a warm, dry desert, here’s a little reality check: there was over a foot of snow at the south rim. The paths along the rim were sheets of ice. The favorite daughter, apparently afraid of heights, slimed on her stomach near the edge when we wanted her in the pictures. Although I believe that had more to do with fear than footing, it seemed like a good idea. However, the foreign tourists were navigating the area in high heels and short skirts.

The next day we arrived in Phoenix, and checked into a hotel, barely averting bloodshed due to excessive family bonding. We did some shopping at the mall across the street. I bought a dress! Sometimes I frighten myself...

New Year’s Eve we went to a movie, Marley and Me, and the Insight Bowl, where the Gophers got their butts kicked by the Jayhawks. However, there was a bright side. I found a booth selling strawberries and chocolate at the game. Yummy!

The countdown to the midnight proceeded as usual, only the location changed. We sat on the couch watching television. My sister and I exchanged New Year’s wishes with our boyfriends via text message (twice, since they are both in the central time zone). Sipped a glass of awful champagne at midnight, and went to bed.

The next day we said goodbye to the reasonable temperatures, and began the return journey. We spent the night in a podunk hotel in southern Utah. Dad had a misunderstanding with the remote control for the television, and accidentally appeared to order a cheesy porn movie. This incident has provided material for months of teasing. Mother and the microwave had a slight disagreement which required us to keep the door open into the wintry air to diffuse the odor.

We visited our last national park in the morning, Bryce Canyon National Park. Also lovely. Arrived home that evening, a week after the beginning of this little adventure. Not a moment too soon, either. Too much family bonding can be detrimental to one’s health...

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I laughed so hard ... I am TOTALLY forwarding this post to my own father so he can mock your dad, too.

    ReplyDelete