Saturday, October 9, 2010

Maize Maze

I'm sure I say this every year, but I love the fall. The weather is crisp and cool, and may finally be described without the use of expletives. It has given me hope that life in the south may just be bearable for six months out of the year. The colors are amazing. The leaves haven't quite started changing, but the colors along the Blue Ridge Parkway are supposed to be gorgeous. There may be a weekend trip to the mountains in the near future, when the foliage report says the leaves are turning. I wasn't aware that there was such a thing until yesterday, but it's convenient for those of us that love the fall colors.

Another thing I love about fall is the quirky fall activities. Last night we went to a corn maze. Excuse me, that's the Amazing Maize Maze. We had no idea what we were getting into. I think I expected maybe to wander around an get lost for about half-an-hour then emerge to go find dinner. I knew we were in trouble when they handed us an empty map. We had to find each of the twelve pieces of the map and then use those pieces to help find the other pieces. They also gave us these big freaking flags to haul around with us so we could signal for help. We got down to the last piece, when hunger and frustration finally caught up with us. We raised our flag of shame and signaled for help. The maze-walker thanked us for following directions, got us on the right path, and we were out of the maze soon after, two hours after entering the maze. It was actually kind of fun, but you should really be prepared for the ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment