Thursday, March 1, 2012

Negotiating and Influencing

It always weirds me out a little learning about the reasons people do what they do.  Although this training provided only a very small glimpse into those motivations and how to use them to gain an advantage, it still felt kind of dirty.  However, the majority of the class was focused on finding unique and fair solutions such that there was no losing side in a negotiation.  And by negotiation, it meant pretty much any situation where two sides try to reach an agreement, from rival nations fighting over territory to a couple trying to decide where to go to dinner.  It's really fascinating.  I've just got to figure out how to try it out without people knowing...

Unfortunately, I eliminated a prime test subject from the pool.  I supplied the reading materials and passed on some of the keypoints to the husband, who's need for it is greater than my desire to use him as a lab rat.  Besides, even with the information, he may not realize he's being influenced...

The Human Mind
Illustration by Psychology Pictures (Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment