Sunday, August 24, 2008

End of the Road

My sister lives life with Lady Luck in the passenger seat. On Friday, she was meeting me on the road and had car trouble about 20 miles from Omaha, where I was enjoying a nice date with myself. She had left every important car emergency item at home (Flashlight! Jumper Cables! Tools!) and was a little flipped, but big sister was only a short distance away. We checked the car over, added transmission fluid, decided it was semi-roadworthy, and continued on our way. Just another sister-lands-on-her-feet tale. She ran out of gas in her car, once…in the driveway. The hilarious part is how my sister gets pissed the few times her usual luck deserts her for a short while.
I finally concluded my rather drawn-out road trip this morning and arrived at the extended-stay hotel. According to the front desk, this time Lady Luck was sitting on my shoulder. I have a smoke-free room, which only about half of the interns will receive, and I have the only remodeled room in the hotel. Since I haven’t been in any other rooms, I’m not sure how important that is. However, this room does feel very clean and new, although it is much smaller than my apartment this summer, and there is no stove.
I’m quite rapidly making myself comfortable. I have unpacked everything except my miscellaneous computer components and books. I made a little run to a grocery store, which I will not be returning to. The sour cream was bad. How is that possible? It’s already supposed to be sour.
I may have to take myself out on another date tonight to celebrate my birthday. I’m twenty-two, and it’s going to take me at least six months to realize it. By the time I do, I’ll already be twenty-three.

No comments:

Post a Comment