Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Warping Young Minds

My company started a program a couple of years ago to give back to the communities around the plants by tutoring elementary school children in local schools.  Our plant is kind of the redheaded step-child of the company, so this program just started at my facility at the beginning of this year.  Perhaps demonstrating my own masochistic nature, I volunteered to participate.

One hour a week, I tutor three second-graders in math.  Tutoring second-grade math is harder than you'd expect.  I haven't actually had to think about the concept of subtraction in a very long time.  And trying to explain it?  Oh, boy.  Hopefully, my explanations don't send them backwards on the learning curve.  But they don't sit still long enough to listen to me anyway, so no real danger.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog & commenting! I wish there were some bridal salons around here that actually stocked anything 'different'. I called one of the 'big' ones in Melbourne and they said they had ONE tea-length dress, which I'd tried, and reminded me of a cupcake. Good luck with the bridal saloning, though... if nothing else it might just set you more on to the awesome 50s ones from Peppermint Pretty? ;)
    Oh! I had a reason for commenting on this post:
    I'm about to start my 2nd year of my teaching course in which I take a math class to teach Elementary school kids maths... I'm awful at maths... So, I know what you mean by it being harder than you expect- I'm TERRIFIED! I dunno how to explain things, I still do addition on my fingers!!!

    ReplyDelete