Friday, September 5, 2008

I Can Has Internet?

Today marked the end of my second week on the job with Caterpillar. I finally got a phone. Of course, it takes too much time to give interns a real phone, so actually what I got was a headset and software for the monstrous machine that is my work computer (strictly in volume occupied, which does not necessarily indicate computational power). Time will tell, but it appears that this set-up is severely flawed. The only time I’m going to realize my phone is “ringing” will be when I am facing the monitor. However, at least I will be able to tango with IT on my own phone, since I have spent a significant amount of time over the last two weeks with my neighbor’s phone draped over the cubicle divided, trying to set-up software or solve another computer issue. And a fun time was had by all.

I also finally requested internet access. Apparently, the theory was that as an intern, I wasn’t to be trusted with access unless it was necessary. My boss and coworkers were quite incensed about this, however. I only felt that my intelligence had been mildly insulted. After all, they had certainly used plenty of scare tactics at orientation. My sense of self-preservation is far too high to choose to leave a trail of my slacking at work for their “very good” thought police to find. It’s not as if I have actually got time for surfing the web all day, anyway. Projects are lined up headed for my desk like “planes into Chicago O’Hare.” Not that that is a bad thing, as I am finding it much more satisfying to actually be busy in my internship this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment